0518/2018 – Captain Storemer and the team at USCG Sector UMR released their Subchapter M Inspections Work Instruction.
Capt. Storemer will be participating in TVIBs general information session next Monday at the IMX show in St. Louis. This session will be at the Dome at America’s Center, 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101 in room number 151 from 0900-1200. Admission is free but we request that you register in advance to attend.
PURPOSE: This instruction sets forth OCMI specific guidance related to Title 46 Code of Federal Regulations, Subchapter M. The primary objective is to identify inconsistencies between the regulatory requirements and existing industry practices and clarify how Sector UMR will enforce those requirements.
Sector UMR Inspections Work Instruction
Coast Guard issues the first Certificate of Inspection (COI) under Subchapter M.
4/20/18 – Coast Guard Maritime Commons announced the issuance of the first COI for a towing vessel. The COI was issued in Sector St. Petersburg.
Today marks 90 days until Subchapter M arrives full force.
- Is your company ready?
- Have you decided what route you will go, TSMS or Coast Guard option?
- If you’ve made the decision to go the TSMS route have you selected your TPO?
- If you selected the TSMS option do you have your TSMS Certificate yet?
These are only the most basic, front-end questions that every owner or managing operator of towing vessels must answer.
If you have questions, let us help you find the right solution. We’ll be in St. Louis, May 21st through 24th for the Inland Marine Expo (IMX), stop by and visit with us.
Next week we will be communicating with our TPO Customers regarding the progress they should be making. Some of the items we’ll address are:
- Acceptance of Internal Surveyor Qualifications
- TSMS Certificate Issuance
- For those companies that have already received their TSMS Certificate, we’ll address the Gap Analysis Self Assessment (GASA) and Corrective Action Plan that is due by July 20, 2018, or 90-days prior to applying for the first COI, whichever comes first
- Feedback for those that have already submitted theirs
- TVIB Spring Information Session – May 21st 9:00 am – 12:00 pm – St. Louis Convention Center – registration required
- Spring Membership Meeting and Board Meeting – May 21st 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm – St. Louis Convention Center – registration required
TVIB – THE TPO YOU KNOW AND TRUST
The U.S Coast Guard Ninth District published a notice related to Subchapter M enforcement. The notice allows the OCMI/COTP to utilize their authority to allow special considerations for certain requirements found in Subchapter M. The cognizant OCMI may give special consideration to authorizing departures from specific requirements when unusual circumstances or arrangement warrant such departures and when an equivalent level of safety is provided.
Click here to download CGD9NOTE 16771.